110th ANNIVERSARY OF NIKOLAI KUCHERENKO
The name of N. Kucherenko is inextricably linked to the history of the tank building in the Soviet Union.
The famous tank designer and organizer of tank production started his career at the legendary Comintern Locomotive Plant in Kharkov. The work record of the designer, head of the design office and deputy chief designer of the tank building plant included direct participation in the creation and introduction into serial production of the following tanks: Т-24, BТ-2, BТ-5, BТ-7, BТ-7М, Т-34, Т-34-85, Т-44, Т-54 and a number of experimental tanks. After the Great Patriotic War N. Kucherenko headed the Main Tank Section of the USSR Ministry of Transport Machine Building. Later, as the Chief Engineer of Plant № 183 in Nizhny Tagil, he took part in the improvement of Т-54 medium tank. Since 1957 he headed the Main Department of the USSR Ministry of Defense Industry ensuring the release of medium, heavy and fire-throwing tanks, tank destroyers and self-propelled launching vehicles. He was also in charge of the creation of experimental tanks, tanks equipped with anti-tank missile systems, super-heavy self-propelled artillery vehicles, infantry fighting vehicles and armored assault vehicles, as well as some prospective tank models.
After retirement and until death N. Kucherenko worked as the Deputy Chairman of the Armored Section of the Scientific and Technical Board of the Ministry of Defense Industry. For more than 20 years he worked as the Editor-in-Chief of “Herald of Armored Materiel”, a scientific and technical magazine.
A specializes exhibition dedicated to the 110th anniversary of Nikolai Kucherenko was prepared by the staff of T-34 Tank History Museum. Photographs, press clippings, books, documents and Kucherenko’s personal effects from the Museum’s archives are on display for the first time ever.
The exhibition makes the visitors fully aware of the contribution of this talented tank builder to the formation of the current might of the Motherland’s armed forces.
The exhibition is located on the ground floor of the Museum. No extra ticket, nor preliminary registration is required to visit it. A special excursion dedicated to N. Kucherenko may be ordered for the applicable excursion fee.
The exhibition is on display until the end of January 2018.
DOCUMENTARY AND HISTORICAL DIGEST RELEASED IN ELECTRONIC FORM BY T-34 TANK HISTORY MUSEUM
Electronic digest launched by Т-34 Tank History Museum is dedicated to the topical issues related to the creation, modernization and operational use of Т-34 Soviet medium tank. The digest is published in Russian in PDF.
A brochure named «Last Defense Line. Half a Step to Moscow” was prepared and published by the researchers of T-34 Tank History Museum in 2011 in commemoration of the 70th anniversary of the Battle of Moscow. Unfortunately, the Museum is now out of all paper copies of the brochure. In response to numerous requests to have the brochure published in electronic form the Museum repeats its publication on this website.
Т-34 HISTORY MUSEUM TOOK PART IN THE “LESSON OF PATRIOTISM” IN THE DIPLOMATIC ACADEMY
Diplomatic Academy of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Russia is the world’s oldest diplomatic academy and a multi-profile educational and research institution known all over the world.
The “Lesson of Patriotism” took place in the Academy in commemoration of the 76th anniversary of the counteroffensive of the Soviet troops in the Battle of Moscow. Veterans of the Great Patriotic War, as well as experts from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Russia, Academy of Military Diplomacy and Institute of Military History took part in the event.
Gennady Pankin, Colonel of the Tank Forces and Director of T-34 Tank History Museum, spoke to the participants of the “Lesson of Patriotism” about the role of T-34 in the Battle of Moscow.
LOBNYA DEFENSE LINE
Festival of military history dedicated to the 76th anniversary of the counteroffensive of the Soviet troops in the Battle of Moscow and the 2017 Heroes of the Motherland Day
The festival was organized jointly with T-34 Tank History Museum by the following military history associations and clubs: “Warrior” Defense and Sports Club of the Moscow Region, “Winged Infantry” Military History Club, “Garrison” Group of Companies, “Garrison-A” Center of Military History Reconstruction, “16th Dzerzhinsky Border Guard Detachment”, “199th Regiment of the People’s Commissariat of Internal Affairs”, “Wehrmacht’s 258th Infantry Division”, “322nd Infantry Regiment of the Workers’ and Peasants’ Red Army”.
Participants of the festival could see a “Local Action” reconstruction, familiarize themselves with small arms and armored vehicles of the War years, soulfully perform popular songs along with the soloists of “Defense Line” vocal group.
Good weather was a pleasant surprise for those who took part in the festival. Heavy snow and subsequent thaw enabled boys and girls to enjoy making snowmen after the event.
Other photos are on the Photo gallery page.
You can also see Yevgeniya Sidorova’s video report of the festival:
T-70M SOVIET LIGHT TANK ON DISPLAY IN THE MUSEUM
Т-70 was developed in October and November 1941 by Gorky Automobile Plant under the guidance of N. Astrov.
In January 1942 the tank had been introduced into service in the Workers’ and Peasants’ Red Army and the serial production of the tank was initiated at several plants (T-70 and N-70M).
Since 1942 Т-70 had been intensively used in the battles. The Battle of Kursk (1943) was the highlight of its war service.
Production of Т-70 and T-70M lasted until October 1943. More than 8,000 vehicles were released making T-70 and N-70M rank second in the numbers of tanks produced for the Red Army in 1941–1945.
Its production ended with the start of the production of SU-76 self-propelled gun on Т-70 platform.
T-70 and T-70M was withdrawn from service soon after the end of the Great Patriotic War.
Replica of Т-70M tank with more than 80% of original parts was made by S. Chibineyev’s Military Restoration Workshop located in the town of Pushkino, Moscow Region will be on a free-of-charge display in our Museum until the end of 2017.
PARTICIPANTS OF LOBNYA RING ON A VISIT TO THE MUSEUM
Historical fact: Т-34 Tank History stands on the former Lobnya Defense Line in the Battle of Moscow. In early December 1941 the counteroffensive of the Soviet troops started from this defense line, the closest one to the Moscow Kremlin. Having covertly concentrated themselves in the villages of Khlebnikovo, Yeremino, Sholokhovo and Sukharevo, armored, artillery, rifle and naval formations started their offensive on Lobnya and Kransnaya Polyana via Lugovaya and then continued it in a “rhipidium” in the direction of Volokolamsk and Solnechnogorsk.
On Tuesday, 5 December, the Museum was visited by the participants of the Lobnya Ring event – veterans, youngsters, deputies, artists, local government officials, members of social and sports associations – made a bus tour of the places of battles along the Lobnya Defense Line, holding short rallies and laying commemorative wreaths. They were greeted near the obelisk marking the 1941 defense line by Gennady Pankin, Director of T-34 Tank Museum.
PARTICIPANTS OF KRASNAYA POLYANA LINE ON A VISIT TO THE MUSEUM
Pupils of the sports schools of the town of Lobnya who participated in Krasnaya Polyana Line track-and-field race visited Т-34Tank History Museum within the framework of the town’s program of events dedicated to the 76th anniversary of the start of the counteroffensive of Soviet troops in the Battle of Moscow.
DAY IN THE MUSEUM FOR THE RUSSIAN CADETS
All-Russia annual event held in Т-34 Tank History Museum
Acting in support of the initiative of the Ministry of Culture of the Russian Federation, welcomed the pupils of First Moscow Cadet Corps within the framework of the Day in the Museum for the Russian Cadets project. The kids familiarized themselves in detail with the history of the legendary tank of the 20th century and received the “Parade of the Winners”, a book issued within the framework of the publishing program of the Government of Moscow, as a gift with the edification to always win in every endeavor.
MOSCOW DAY CELEBRATED IN Т-34 TANK HISTORY MUSEUM
“MOSCOW WINS” WAR HISTORY FESTIVAL
“Moscow Wins” War History Festival with its program full of different events was dedicated by the Museum to 870th anniversary of the Russian capital.
New exhibitions were offered to the visitors on Moscow Day:
– “Russia’s First Tanks”, an exhibition dedicated to the 100th anniversary of N.N. Lebedenko’s heavy wheeled tank that was made in Moscow and tested in the environs of the town of Dmitrov;
– “Victory Train – Echo of Events”, an art project of Studio of Military Artists named after M.B. Grekov: portrait gallery by Ekaterina Solovieva and Yegor Smirnov;
– “Glittering Steel”, an exhibition of tank troops uniforms from the collection of Sergei Chibineyev.
On Saturday, 9 September the celebrations in the Museum started from thematic tours around the Museum’s exposition and the Tank Park.
At the same time interactive sites of 18 military history clubs and historical reconstruction associations from Moscow, Moscow Region, Vladimir, Nizhny Novgorod and other regions of Russia started operating on the Museum’s grounds.
Exciting programs were demonstrated by the children and youth associations – ‘WARRIOR” Defense and Sports Club and “Banner” Military History Club.
Historical reconstruction of the fighting that had taken place 75 years ago on the defense lines of the Stalingrad Battle was the culminating point of the festival. Having left her child with the relatives, Marionella Korolyova from Moscow achieved her goal of being sent to the frontline as a nurse. In November 1942 she carried fifty wounded soldiers away from the battlefield, and when their commander was killed, she headed the attack and was the first to rush into the enemy’s trench. Koroleva killed fifty Nazi soldiers and officers by throwing grenades at them. Fatally wounded, she kept on fighting until the arrival of the reinforcement. M.V. Korolyova’s heroic deed was immortalized by writer Elena Ilyina in her novel “Fourth Elevation”. Maria Bozhenkina, physics teacher from Nizhny Novgorod’s Grammar School № 2, played the role of Korolyova in the military and historical reconstruction.
This reconstruction was organized by Т-34 Tank History Museum and “Kitezhgrad” Center of Live History (Vladimir) with assistance from military history clubs and associations of Moscow, Kolomna, Podolsk, Pushkino, Vladimir, Kaluga, Sergiev Posad, Nizhny Novgorod, Serpukhov, Ivanteyevka and other cities and towns.
After the end of the reconstruction the visitors were photographed with its participants and also were consulted on various aspects of voluntary participation in the activities of military history clubs and search teams.
The detailed photo report on the festival is published on the Photo Gallery page.
Vodeo report (in Russian):